- Verify you are on a supported version of Asterisk: https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+Versions, i.e. a version of asterisk Asterisk that has not reached End of Life
- Are you using the latest version of your Asterisk branch? Please check the release notes for newer versions of Asterisk to see if there is a potential fix for your issue. Even if you can't identify a fix in a newer version, it is preferable that you upgrade when reasonable to do so. Release notes are available in the UPGRADE.txt, CHANGES and ChangeLog files within the root directory of your particular point release. http://svnview.digium.com/svn/asterisk/tags/
- Are you using the latest third party software, firmware, model, etc? If the error scenario involves phones, third party databases or other software, be sure it is all up to date and check their documentation.
- Have you asked for help in the community? (mailing lists, IRC, forums) You can locate all these services here: http://www.asterisk.org/community
- Have you searched the Asterisk documentation in case this behavior is expected? The documentation is located here: https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Home
- Have you searched the Asterisk bug tracker to see if an issue is already filed for this potential bug? https://issues.asterisk.org/jira you'll find the search field in the top right of the page.
- Can you reproduce the problem? If you can't find a way to simulate or reproduce the issue, then at least get the system to a point where it's capturing relevant debug during the times the seemingly random failure occurs. Yes that could mean running debug for days or weeks if necessary.
Feature requests without patches are not typically monitored or kept on the tracker. Even a feature request with a patch will still have to be approved by the SVN maintainers and community developers. Many people want Asterisk to do many different things; however, unless the feature has some extremely obvious (to many people) benefit, then it's best to have a community discussion and consensus on a feature before it goes into Asterisk. Feature requests are openly discussed on the mailing lists and IRC channels. Most bug marshals and asterisk Asterisk developers actively participate and will note the request if it makes sense.