Due to the scope of Asterisk 12, the project will be altering the "no new features in release branches" policy for this version only. This does not apply to any other release branch of Asterisk.
Improvements and new features that are related to the goals of Asterisk 12 will be allowed throughout the maintenance lifetime of Asterisk 12, subject to the following constraints:
- The new feature or improvement must be made in relation to the goals of Asterisk 12; namely, the improvement or new feature must be in one of the following areas:
- The new SIP stack based on PJSIP
- The core APIs facilitating the new external APIs, that is, the Bridging API and the Stasis Message Bus
- External facing APIs (AMI, ARI, AGI)
- The new feature or improvement must have thorough unit testing and/or functional testing provided by the Asterisk Test Suite. No new features or improvements without test coverage will be allowed midstream.
- Any new feature or improvement must go through the normal Asterisk new feature process. This includes a thorough code review on Review Board. If you have questions about whether or not the new feature or improvement will be accepted or is appropriate, please ask in #asterisk-dev or the asterisk-dev mailing list before development.
Any new feature applied to Asterisk 12 will also be applied to Asterisk trunk. New features that do not meet the criteria outlined above are still valid candidates for inclusion in Asterisk trunk and will be available in the next release of Asterisk (Asterisk 13), which will be an LTS release.