- A new extensible and performant SIP channel driver built on the pjsip SIP stack.
- Application of the Asterisk bridging framework throughout the project, providing consistency to management of channels while they are in a bridge.
- Stasis, a new internal message bus that conveys state about channels, bridges, endpoints, devices, and other objects throughout Asterisk.
- A heavily revamped version of AMI, focusing on improved channel semantics and consistency of event information.
- A new interface, the Asterisk REST Interface (ARI: Asterisk REST Interface), which allows an external application to manipulate channels, bridges, and other telephony primitives directly.